Monday, March 8, 2010

OBJECTIVE

There is such little space on the Internet dedicated to Asperger's Syndrome, and this already limited space caters overwhelmingly to a) those who have Asperger's Syndrome or b) parents caring for their children with Asperger's Syndrome.

Where is all the space for partners of aspies? Where are the resources on Asperger dating, relationship counseling, sexuality? We need support and solidarity, too! Well, there is so little of it because there is so little awareness of adult Asperger's (as symptoms become increasingly latent in adulthood). And let's face it-- most aspies just can't score dates. Just kidding.

The objective of this blog is to document my life with my partner, whom I have discovered to have Asperger's Syndrome. It has been incredibly difficult but even more rewarding.

WHAT IS ASPERGER'S SYNDROME?
In my own words: A.S. is a form of *gasp!* autism. It is a social learning disability that falls on the "high-functioning" end of the autism spectrum. Most individuals who have asperger's are high functioning, blend in seamlessly with the general population (who aspies call "NT's," or neuro-typicals. NERD ALERT!), and typically have higher IQ's than the median individual. The most interesting people I've met have been aspies. In other words, if you *had* to be a retard, Asperger's Syndrome is the type of retard you want to be.

Typical symptoms include but are not limited to: Lack of empathy (not to be mistaken with lack of kindness or compassion), having unflinching devotion to routines, obsessive hobbying and hoarding, prefers being alone over socializing, has difficulty forming relationships that are more than superficial.

(I want to disclose here that I am going to create a pseudonym for every single individual that I will mention in this blog because I want to respect everyone's privacy. Additionally, this blog was created in good faith. It is absolutely not my intention to make fun of, denigrate, or ostracize those with Asperger's. In fact, it is my intention to create awareness and a space for aspie lovers in an accessible way. Also, this blog will consist of my personal opinions and observations only; I fully recognize that I am not a figure of authority in diagnosing or recommending treatment or counselling for Asperger's Syndrome.)

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog, Cindy. I especially liked "In other words, if you *had* to be a retard, Asperger's Syndrome is the type of retard you want to be."
    I'm currently assisting in career counseling with an older man with asperger's--this helped me to understand him more. I too was surprised by the lack of information about Asperger's online. I think I just ended up looking at Wikipedia and another site before speaking with him.
    Anyway-this is a great idea and I hope you continue!

    ReplyDelete